Elevated planters for patios are mobile planting pots or containers that can fit right on your patio or backyard. Unlike typical gardens and indoor planting kits, they are designed to be more durable, and they don’t take up as much space. They can be used to grow flowers, vegetables, and herbs.
In this guide, we go over some of the most popular patio planters available on the market. If you are new to gardening, and you can’t dedicate to a full garden yet, these mobile planters would be a great place to start.
5 Best-Selling Elevated Planters for Patios
Table of Contents
- 1. Out Sunny Raised Wooden Garden Bed Grid Planter Stand
- 2. Kester Urban Bloomer 22.4 Gallon Raised Garden Bed
- 3. 4-ft Raised Garden Bed-vertical Garden Planter with Five Container Boxes
- 4. CedarCraft Elevated Cedar Planter
- 5. EMSCO Easy Picker Raised Picker Bed Grow Box
- Buying Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
Reviews of 5 Top Rated Elevated Planters for Patios
- spacious and separate: the planter box is big enough to hold 8 different herbs, flowers, or vegetables. built with proper space grids to ensure your plants can grow healthy and avoid excessive growth.
- wood construction: made of natural and stable fir wood which is great for growing plants and covered with water-resist paint for long-term use. the raised garden bed can be placed indoors or outdoors through the seasons.
- convenient storage solution: besides 8 separate plant compartments, you can use the bottom shelf of the garden box for keeping gardening tools and items near the planting area within reach.
- no need to bend down: the raised design makes this plant bed perfect for those who don't like to bend down or lean over while they garden. it reduces back and knee strain and also helps protect plants from rabbits and other uninvited elements.
- outdoor raised planter garden bed dimensions: overall dimension: 43.25" l x 18" w x 30" h, planter bed size: 41.75" l x 16.5" w x 7.25" h, each grid size: 10.25" l x 8" w, bottom shelf size: 42" l x 14.5" w x 5.25" h cm. weight capacity:40 lbs (planting area), 25 lbs (storage shelf). easy assembly is required. note: in order to increase the service life, we recommend that it's equipped with non-woven fabric by yourself.
The Out sunny Raised garden planter stand is a grid-style wooden planter with eight large planter boxes. It comes with a lower shelf designed to house the gardener’s tools, seeds, and fertilizers. It has dimensions of 43.25”x 18”Wx 30”H, and it can be stored both indoors and outdoors.
- It has an all-natural wooden construction
- It can be used both indoors and outdoors.
- It has eight large boxes so you can house groups of the same plants if you want.
- dimensions: 32. 3 in. l x 14. 7 in. w x 30. 7 in. h
- water gauge: easy to read water gauge indicates when plants need additional moisture
- drainage system that can be opened or closed for full control of watering
- water reservoir: full watering system includes a reservoir to prevent root decay and over watering
- easy assembly: simple assembly with easy-to-follow instructions
The urban water bloomer is a sophisticated mobile water garden bed with an overall capacity of about twenty-two gallons. The water bloomer comes with a water gauge that helps users keep track of how much water their plants really need. It has a plastic construction and is fairly easy to assemble and disassemble. It comes with about ten small containers and six large plant boxes.
- It has a full plastic construction
- It is completely mobile
- It comes with an impressive water reservoir and gauge system.
- It’s perfect for both indoor and outdoor use.
- ✓ easy to assemble w/ perfect tight space solution - with easy to follow instructions included, the assembly of your garden planters will be quick and simple without any power tools needed. each hanging plastic box container is 22"; provides adequate room for your plants without wasting precious space in a small apartment, balcony, or any outside area. grow a variety of herbs, seeds, flowers, succulents, or vegetables in just a single area at home.
- ✓ food grade plant bins - plastic bins are made from 100% new polypropylene material (pp) and are food safe (bpa free, lead free, mercury free).
- ✓ modern ergonomically designed & aesthetically pleasing - if you are unable to enjoy gardening due to hip and back issues, this is the product you are looking for. having a farmhouse garden has never been this easy; especially for seniors. add a unique beauty and style unlike any other to your deck, patio or yard!
- ✓ well-built and sturdy - this mobile vertical garden bed is built with high quality materials to ensure stability of the combined weight of soil, water and plants. the freestanding vertical garden frame and planter boxes are both weather resistant which makes them suitable for indoor and outdoor use.
The 4-ft raised garden bed garden planter is a functional planting box setup with about five distinct layers. It is easy to assemble, and it is about four feet tall once fully assembled. It is relatively easy to piece together, and it comes with food-grade plastic bins. It can take up to twenty small plants.
- It is made from polypropylene material and other food-safe plastics
- It features a simple, elegant and mobile design
- It is easy to assemble
- It is made of sturdy construction materials, and it is weather resistant.
- the complete gardening kit to maximize your growing season
- easy working height minimizes back & knee strain
- greenhouse cover protects & provides the perfect microclimate for plants
- rescued canadian western red cedar - untreated & sustainably sourced
- beautifully crafted, exceptional quality & build to last. **dimensions & additional product information below**
The CedarCraft Elevated planter is a complete gardening set with complete greenhouse features. It comes with covers that protect the unique microclimates of plants, and it is available in different sizes. It is made from Canadian western red cedar and is extremely sturdy.
- Made from premium cedarwood
- Comes with greenhouse features
- it comes in a comfortable height that protects gardeners with knee problems
- It protects the microclimate of plants.
- convenient mobile planter – the easy picker is the ultimate raised bed gardening system. the unit is mobile and features four swivel casters for easy transport and sun tracking that works great in areas with limited space.
- self-watering and improved aeration – the self-contained system of the easy picker is self-watering. it automatically waters plants by wicking moisture from its 2-gallon water reservoir and has water overflow holes to prevent overwatering. additionally, plants rest above an aeration screen that enhances the oxygen flow to plant roots and encourages faster growth, which allows you to grow more with less effort.
- space saver – the easy picker is perfect for homeowners with limited space who wish to grow plants and vegetables. it is less expensive than large, traditional raised bed gardens and can be used to introduce people to gardening with minimal investment. even users in tight urban areas can use the easy picker, as you can grow vegetables in small spaces, such as fire escapes or rooftop verandas.
- weed prevention –the easy picker alleviates weed growth by having its own self-contained soil system. a mulch cover is included to further prevent the development of weeds.
- 30” stand – with its convenient elevated height of 30”, homeowners can tend to their plants while standing. this eliminates the need for kneeling, stooping, or bending, so you can enjoy gardening without difficulty. this feature is ideal for seniors and wheel chair users.
The EMSCO Easy Picker Raised Picker provides the ultimate indoor and outdoor farming experience. It comes with wheels attached to each end of the planter, it comes with self-watering and aeration features, and it comes with an impressive yet compact form factor. It also comes with a weed prevention system and an impressive form factor that lets it blend into most homes and environments.
- Made from food-safe plastic
- It comes with wheels, so it’s completely mobile
- It has a very compact form factor.
- It comes with an impressive self-watering feature.
In the review section, we looked at a number of impressive products constructed with different materials and construction styles. In this section of the post, however, we will be looking over what features you should prioritize when buying your very own elevated patio planter.
1. Construction material
Elevated planters are almost always made from either wood or some food-safe durable plastic. Both construction materials are suitable options for elevated planters, and you could go with either one. The popular types of wood used for elevated planters include teak, shorea, and cedar.
2. Size of the planters
Elevated planters are typically on the smaller side. They are often divided into smaller squares and have diameters that could range between 1 to 2 inches. Generally, the larger the diameter of the individual plant box, the better, as smaller boxes tend to retain less moisture. The size of the planter you decide to purchase is also determined by the amount of space you have on your patio, backyard, etc. so, you should purchase according to the space you have available.
3. Watering and aeration
Some plants come with great aeration features and automatic watering reservoirs that ensures that your plant gets all the moisture it needs. These types of features tend to cost more, but if you can afford them, you should try to get them. They take a lot of the stress out of the gardening process.
4. Depends on what plants you intend to cultivate
Certain plants require special care and features. For example, if you plan to grow legumes like beans, you will need some sort of stock that they can wrap themselves around as they grow. Depending on the plants you have in mind, your choice of planter accessories should differ.
They can be used to plant fruits, vegetables, herbs, and flowers. They can be set up in patios, backyards, indoors, balconies, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, they can be installed directly over a concrete patio. You will have to set up a drainage system to dispose of rainwater and soil leakage, but it is possible.
You can lay some leaves, grass clippings, straw, wood chips, and other organic materials at the bottom of your planter box before you add a layer of soil.
They don’t. As far as you are set up outside, the water from the water bed can drain into the topsoil on the ground.
You can. Rocks create additional space that allows water to drain through.
Yes. Since the soil of elevated planters heats up faster than regular soil, you need to drain the soil and reshape it before every major planting season.
Finding the perfect elevated planter for your patio or backyard is not as difficult as most people make it out to be. As long as you pay close attention to the features that you need the most when searching for a planter, finding the ideal one for your home should be fairly easy.